Along with the Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Trail Camera comes a strap for attaching it to trees or something similar. As this is not the most secure solution, maybe you should think about getting a lock box or a cable lock as well, because cameras like these get stolen a lot. Just check out the following products:
Master Lock Python Adjustable Locking Cable
Stealth Cam Security Box
There are no AA batteries included. This device needs 8 of those to function properly, so don’t forget them when buying this unit. Energizer Ultimate batteries seem to work really well.
There is also no SD card included. If you are thinking about getting one, don’t forget that it must be a class 10 card. Micro cards are not supported by this model, so just try to get a 32GB class 10 card and you will be good to go.
What you need to get as well is a USB cable, if you want to connect this unit to your PC (it takes a standard Mini-B USB cable).
Features Of The Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Trail Game Camera
This one has a no glow Black IR flash. Its 42 LEDs illuminate targets up to 100′ away – at least that’s what the marketing says. A more realistic detection range is 40-50 feet. This range depends a lot on the mass of the heat generating object, of course. The smaller the animals and the farther away they are, the harder it may be to trigger the device. Just keep that in mind.
The resolution of this model is 2 MP – 10 MP, so you have 4 resolution settings: 2,4,8,10.
It has a reflex trigger of 0.5 seconds.
This one captures stills and HD videos (5 – 180 seconds with audio). There is also the option of getting time lapse shots (for example a field scan every 10 minutes etc.).
There is also a burst mode available that takes 1-9 images per trigger activation.
Concerning stamps you can have time, date, temperature, moon phase, GPS and name on every image and video recorded. You also have the option to turn it off.
The Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Trail Game Camera has a weather proof housing, so it can stay outside safely during rain, snow or foggy days without any problems and for very long times.
The display is backlit and the dimensions of this model are 5.5 x 4 x 2.5 inches. Apart from that there is a video and a USB output. The device is password protected, by the way, which is good if you want to keep the images and videos private. There is no viewing screen, so getting a card reader would be a good idea. Maybe take a look at the Boneview SD Card Reader.
An external power jack for a 12 volt battery box can be found on the bottom of the device.
There are some presets available, so if you are not into programming it yourself you can choose programs for image or video settings.
For those of you that want to control every step, programming should be no big deal. It’s no harder than playing around with your smartphones 🙂 .
Set Up Tips
- Every movement can trigger the Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Trail Game Camera, be it leaves, rain, snow or bugs, so set it up where you want it to be without all of those distractions. There will be a certain number of images that are lost, but you can minimize those by choosing a good position.
- Get rid of trees, twigs or grass that are in the way to minimize any bad images.
- For smaller animals like turkeys or coyotes, set it up about 3 feet high. From that height you will also get deer if they are 10 feet or more away (the whole animals).
- Maybe take your laptop with you for the set up and trip it a few times. Then check the images and find the best position or angle for the device.
- Adjust the height if you want to get small animals like raccoons and porcupines. Opossums and bobcats can trigger this model too, even squirrels.
- For avoiding whiteout, make sure it is far enough away from the desired focal point. 10 yards or more seems to be a good number for decreasing whiteout, which usually happens if the animals are too close. You can also try to put it on a 10 degree angle away from the desired focal area.
- Check the battery level from time to time. When it reaches 35%, this model won’t take night images or night videos anymore. This is a feature that will save battery power.
- Problems might occur if you try to get images through glass like windows or doors. The manual says “Glass may disrupt your sensor beam, we don’t advise using this device in this fashion.” Some customers did it anyway and had no problems at all, by the way. If you need to get images through glass, just try to set it up and trip it to check the images or videos. If there are problems, try to alter the position or the angle slightly. This might help or not.
Uses Of The Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Trail Game Camera
Hunting / Bowhunting
For checking out which game is roaming your hunting area, this one is a very good and reliable option to have. Apart from the usual whiteout, daytime images especially are crisp and clear. Nighttime pics usually have a more black and white look to them but are crisp nonetheless.
Animals won’t be warned because this unit does not use a viewable flash, and doesn’t blink or make any noise while taking pictures.
As I already have mentioned in the beginning, this one can also be used to monitor your property, your house or other objects that are of value to you. Models like this are usually cheaper than security cams or security systems, but they can do the job just as well. You may miss some comfort, like WLAN functions etc., but considering the price, you will have to make some compromises.
And don’t forget to secure your cam with the locks I have mentioned above. Thieves are everywhere!
For around 100 bucks you will get a good and reliable model that will serve you well for years to come. It has all the basic functions you will ever need and it does its job well.
Hunters and bowhunters cannot do much wrong here. People who want to use it as a security unit need to make sure that it does what they want it to do.
The Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Trail Game Camera is a great little helper for the hunting crowd or for folks who want to monitor all kinds of things around their property or house. Imagine raccoons or rats raiding your home at night, or other critters that live in your backyard that you have never thought of.
It is durable and sturdy and records images, videos, time lapse and bursts. What else could you ask from a model like this, given the very friendly price? Not much, I assume.
Thanks for reading and shoot straight!